Thursday, September 19, 2013

Addiction to Social Media is most likely not possible

Addiction is really defined as something that people do not have control over, either taking or using. Their bodies simply cannot live without taking or using something because it makes them feel uncomfortable if they do not have it. After reading the article, I agree with Professor Yaros in his explanation of a social media "addiction". I don't think anyone can truly be addicted to social media; it's mainly the convenience factor that is making people think there is an addiction. People can live without checking Twitter, Facebook, etc. and live a normal life. But when you have the ability to check it instantaneously on your phone at any location, that's when people start to beg the question on if there is an addiction, which I believe there is not. The reason I think this is because I am probably the biggest user of Twitter I know; I check Twitter multiple times when I am in class and sometimes sit there just refreshing the page in hopes of more information. My use of Twitter may lead some people to think I am addicted to Twitter, when in reality, I just like the ability and convenience to check the news and other information that is happening in the world at any time. I can go hours without using Twitter with no problem, but if I have the opportunity, why not check and see what is going on in the world at that time? Having said that, I do think it can be very distracting. Sometimes I will be in class and forget what was being taught because I was so entrenched in what news was being updated on Twitter. Personally, my device is more distracting than helpful in class, but that is just because I sometimes do not have self control with checking it. There shouldn't be any rule that governs the use of it in school just because some people, like myself, are being distracted when other people are perfectly capable of learning and using it. There are just a lot of potential games, news, messages, social media sites that can be a distraction to students in class. Using Nearpod in Professor Yaros's class is helpful in that it keeps students on the same slide and focused on what is being discussed at that time. Using social media can be helpful if being used for the right purposes, but as for myself, reading Twitter to find out news for my favorite sports team is only distracting and not useful.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/info/addiction/

No comments:

Post a Comment